Tuesday, August 28, 2007

more on graphic novels this term

We had our first conversation on The P.L.A.I.N Janes and I was pleased with the range of remarks and observations. In my estimation, one of the really great points that came out in conversation was that Miami students defy and interrogate stereotypes.

We began with an exchange about first impressions and initial reactions to the book. The round concluded with one of the men stating that he had never read a graphic novel before followed directly by one of the women explaining that this is the main genre that she reads. I so liked it that this pair of observations is counter to the received wisdom that comics and graphic novels are the purview of men.

As I worried over this volume this summer, the esteemed Shelley Pasnik tipped me off to Wally Wood's 22 Panels that Always Work. I used it in class today and introduced my new friend Ben Day and other comics conventions that Scott McCloud enumerates in Understanding Comics. I also relied on the resources at Teaching Comics.

No comments: